Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Only 29 Days Before I leave for India to help out Docotors Rodgers and Staff

A Letter from Our Staff:

Hello to all those viewing this blog.  Doctors Rodgers know that I will be joining them in Bangalore in less than 29 days.  

Our family home is up for sale the shipping container will be at our residence on the 20th of October.
We're excited.  We've been planning for this move for almost 5 years and it will be coming to fruition very soon.  

So, how did this all begin.  Well...before I started working for the Rodgers, I was technical analyst for Dell in San Diego, CA.  My colleague at Dell was diagnosed with cancer.  Even with her insurance, the cancer medication was not affordable.  She ended up using her entire life savings to combat this disease.  About $200,000 was wiped out in less than a year.  Her cancer medication were not affordable.  So, I began my search online but I didn't know who or what to trust then.  Then, I talked to a colleague, who happens to be from India, informed me about a clinic he knew in Bangalore run by American physicians.  That's how I came across Doctors Rodgers in Bangalore.  

Dr. Sue Rodgers and her husband, also a physician, had been doing humanitarian work for almost 25 years in India.  In 2009, I made a call, first call outside of the US for me, and a clinic nurse picked up the phone.  I had no idea that India was 12.5 hours head of US Pacific Standard Time.  It was 12pm here and 12:30am there.  So, I called back later in the evening around 10pm PST and was able to speak with the pharmacist on duty.  The very polite man, Raj, understood my request and informed the cost of the medicine.  I had to ask Raj three times before the cost registered with me.  The cost was literally a fraction of what the medicine is sold here in the states.  I almost jumped out of my chair hooting and hollering (I did after the phone call was over).  I got the bank account number, swift code, address, name, address and went to my bank the next day to do a wire transfer.  

I received an email that the deposit was confirmed (2 days with time difference) and my medicine arrived at my front door in 9 days by US Postal Service.  Holy $%^&!  Is this real, or am I dreaming?  I was so ecstatic, I started asking around for my family and their prescription medicine requirements.  Little by little, I started ordering medicine through Raj and every piece of medicine I ordered got delivered.  We have saved over $400,000.00 in medicine from buying in India over the past 5 years.

Since then I started volunteering for the Rodgers' part time and soon full time.  After my education of the pharmaceutical industry over the past 6 years, I realized how compromised we are as Americans.  I have saved enough money to live a comfortable life in India for the next few decades.  I will be returning to visit my friends and family for Christmas and New Years' every year.  

Also, I want everyone to know that I have been visiting India for the past 4 years, I spend about 6 weeks each time.  The climate in Bangalore is lovely and city is growing by leaps and bounds.  The support of the Rodgers and their incredible staff gave me the courage to live in India. 

Thank you for reading.  

-Gary S.

No comments:

Post a Comment